Do you wonder how much sleep your child actually needs?
- It is recommended that children aged 4 to 11 months sleep 12 to 16 hours a day.
- It is recommended that children aged 1 to 2 years sleep 11 to 14 hours a day.
- It is recommended that children aged 3 to 4 years sleep 10 to 13 hours a day.
This includes both their night time sleep and their afternoon naps (if any). These are the guidelines established by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
How do I know whether my child is getting enough sleep?
There are many ways to check whether your child is getting enough sleep. Your child has probably slept enough if they:
- wake up on their own during the week.
- don’t wake up much later than usual during the weekend and on holiday, but only if they did not go to sleep later than usual the night before.
- Feel like having breakfast within half an hour from waking up.
Children who sleep too little are not necessarily sleepier than others. Sometimes they are even more energetic.